Steve Whitehead is a member of the firm's Real Estate section. His practice includes a wide range of real estate matters, including substantial experience in residential and commercial land use planning, development, leasing and eminent domain/condemnation. He also focuses on environmental sustainability.
Mr. Whitehead is recognized by Chambers USA and as one of Utah's Legal Elite for real estate.
Utah State Bar, Real Property Section, admitted 1994
Honors & Awards
Chambers USA: Real Estate (2009 - 2013)
Utah Legal Elite: Real Estate (2009, 2008, 2021)
- Currently represents both large and small residential and commercial developers in acquisitions, financing, land use planning and zoning, development, PUDs, condominiums, leasing, and dispositions.
- Focuses on LEED and sustainable environmental practices, including green leases.
- Represented projects include large mixed use office/residential/ retail developments, shopping centers, office buildings, industrial parks, residential developments, condominium projects, and apartments, including City Creek Center and the Utah Industrial Depot.
- Possesses nationwide experience in complex real estate matters and shopping center development.
- Trained and experienced negotiator and mediator. He is a problem-solver with the knowledge and experience to identify issues and effectively negotiate solutions. Has been successful in negotiating resolutions to hundreds of real estate and commercial disputes.
- Formally staff Real Estate Counsel for American Stores Properties, Inc., the real estate arm of American Stores Company (a former Fortune 50 company), where he resolved complex real estate disputes, negotiated real estate transaction, and oversaw real estate projects.
- Starwood Capital Group
- Fourels Investment Company and affiliates
- MicAm, LLC
- The Hoine Companies
- General Construction Development
- Supersonic Carwash
- The Aclaime Group
- City Creek Reserve, Inc.
- Property Reserve, Inc.
- Suburban Land Reserve, Inc.
- 111 Main, LLC
- Corporation of the Presiding Bishop of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Utah Property Management Associates, LLC
- Depot Associates, LLC (Utah Industrial Depot)
- LNR Commercial Property Group
News & Events
- Press Release, 06.10.2013
- Press Release, 01.30.2013
- Commercial Leases: Drafting, Enforcing, and LitigatingSterling Education Services, 2003
- The Essentials of Office and Retail Leases in UtahNational Business Institute, 2003
- The IP Legal Minute, 09.19.2019
- Real Estate
- Commercial Leasing
- Project Development and Agreements
- Condominium Associations and HOAs
- Purchase and Sale Transactions
- Land Use and Zoning
- Foreclosures and Restructuring
- Real Estate Financing
- Water Rights
- Environmental, Natural Resources, and Energy
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Business Formation, Structure, and Exit Strategies
- Equipment Leasing
- General Counsel Services
- Lending and Finance
- Landlord/Tenant Disputes
University of Utah S.J. Quinney College of Law, JD, 1994
- Member, Utah Law Review, 1992 - 1994
- Note and Comment Editor, Utah Law Review, 1993 - 1994
University of Utah, BA, Marketing, magna cum laude, 1991
- Outstanding Scholar in Marketing
- Utah, 1994